City of Valdez Photo
The City of Valdez New Harbor Development Project is a multi-year, phased project to build a new harbor basin and upland facilities on the south side of the old Hotel Hill site. The new harbor will include docks/moorage capacity, vehicle parking lot, additional vessel launch ramps, and support services. New access roads and pedestrian walkways will be included to provide increased waterfront accessibility.
• Increased moorage capacity
• Additional launch ramps
• Greater waterfront access for boaters and the non-boating public
• Additional local economic activity
• Opportunity for service industry development and support for the fishing industry
Phase 2 Uplands Facilities and Inner Harbor Facilities - Contractor, Pacific Pile & Marine (PPM) and subcontractors continued providing submittals and shop drawings for the R&M design team to review. Electric heaters and temporary doors were installed in the Bilge Treatment building and the building was secured for winter shutdown. The Restroom building plumbing fixtures, grab bars and toilet accessories, electrical lighting and trim were installed, and CVEA electrical service was activated. No work was performed on the Warehouse building. The structural steel and panels for the Warehouse building, delayed by flooding in Texas, were delivered and stored. Building contractors stopped work by December 14th; a walkthrough with the Architect, Contractor and Project Manager was performed on December 15th. Work on the Restroom and the Bilge building, treatment equipment and lighting will continue when work on the Warehouse building resumes in 2018.
Phase 2 is a single contract package consisting of Uplands Facilities (warehouse building, east restroom, bilge treatment facility, paving and landscaping) and Inner Harbor components (removal of in-water rock, piling, floats, pedestrian ramps, drive-down bridge and float). R&M continued reviewing material and shop drawing submittals, responding to Requests for Information (RFIs) and clarifications of construction documents, and performing inspections for construction of the uplands buildings.
USACE NAVIGATION IMPROVEMENTS
The USACE is administering the Western Marine Construction (WMC) contract for dredging the navigation channel and float basin and construction of the breakwaters. The USACE notified the City that the dredging and breakwater work has been accepted and the warranty period has started, but USACE and WMC have not reconciled the dredge and rock quantities. R&M reviewed data from the hydrographic surveys to validate the rock and sediment removal bid quantities in the City’s Phase 2 Inner Harbor scope of work. The City is evaluating the hydrographic survey data that indicates there might be some high spots along the toe of the breakwaters at the entrance and maneuvering channel inside the entrance. The USACE has provided updated financial information and Arcadis continues to coordinate closeout of the USACE contract with the City.
• Completed installation of fixtures, lighting and trim in the Restroom building
• Connected electrical service to Bilge Treatment building and activated service to the Restroom building
• Continued fabrication of mooring float and drive-down float components at Seattle area shops
• Received and evaluated re-survey data of the basin and breakwaters from USACE
• Received USACE turnover of Inner Harbor construction area to the City
• Received PPM’s construction update of the project baseline schedule
• R&M inspect mooring and drive-down float sections assembled at Seattle area shops
• PPM complete procurement and confirm mobilization of rock breaking equipment
• Closeout City contract with USACE for the dredging and breakwater work
• Evaluate response to Fuel Facility Request for Proposals
If you have any questions, please contact: