City of Valdez Photo
The City of Valdez New Harbor Development Project is a multi-year, phased project to build a new harbor basin and upland facilities on the south side of the old Hotel Hill site. The new harbor will include docks/moorage capacity, vehicle parking lot, additional vessel launch ramps, and support services. New access roads and pedestrian walkways will be included to provide increased waterfront accessibility.
• Increased moorage capacity
• Additional launch ramps
• Greater waterfront access for boaters and the non-boating public
• Additional local economic activity
• Opportunity for service industry development and support for the fishing industry
Phase 2 Uplands Facilities and Inner Harbor Facilities - Phase 2 contractor, Pacific Pile & Marine (PPM) and subcontractors, continued posting submittals and shop drawings for the R&M design team to review. They completed the foundations, placed floor slabs in Bilge Treatment and East Restroom buildings, finished laying masonry walls for the Restroom and placed the stone veneer for Bilge Treatment and Restroom buildings, installed trusses and roofing on the Bilge Treatment building and roof trusses on the Restroom building. The fabrication plant in Houston reported that major flooding in that area would delay shipment of the structural steel for the Warehouse building until mid-November. Delivery will be too late for erecting the steel and enclosing the Warehouse building to allow interior work during the winter. The City of Valdez (COV) responded to questions on the Request for Proposal (RFP) for Fuel Facility and again extended the date for submission of proposals.
Phase 2 is a single contract package consisting of Uplands Facilities (warehouse building, east restroom, bilge treatment facility, paving and landscaping) and Inner Harbor components (removal of in-water rock, piling, floats, pedestrian ramps, drive-down bridge and float). R&M continued: reviewing material and shop drawing submittals, responding to Requests for Information (RFIs) and clarifications of construction documents, performing daily observations of work, testing soil and concrete, and performing special inspections for construction of the uplands buildings.
USACE NAVIGATION IMPROVEMENTS
The USACE is administering the Western Marine Construction (WMC) contract for dredging the navigation channel and float basin and construction of the breakwaters. The USACE indicated that WMC has completed the dredging and breakwater work. The USACE Alaska District and Pacific Division Commanders and senior civilian staff toured the new harbor site. The USACE finished reviewing WMC’s survey and informed the COV that they encountered discrepancies and that USACE would hire a consultant to perform a second hydrographic survey. The USACE took possession of the in-water rock area along the north bank of the west mooring basin and turned that area over to the COV. The USACE also indicated the remainder of the basin would be turned over to the COV before the end of December. Arcadis has received updated financial information from the USACE and continues coordinating for closeout of the USACE contract with the COV.
• Completed review of shop drawings for the most important building components
• Completed concrete footings and foundation walls for the uplands buildings
• Continued fabrication of mooring float and drive-down float components
• Placed floor slab, installed walls, laid stone veneer and installed roof for Bilge Treatment building
• Placed floor slab, laid masonry blocks, stone veneer and installed roof trusses for the East Restroom
• Finished footings, foundation walls and canopy piers for the Warehouse building
• Finish enclosing Bilge Treatment and East Restroom to allow interior work
• Start electrical and mechanical rough-in for Bilge Treatment and East Restroom
• Begin assembling mooring and drive-down float sections at Seattle area shops
• Receive approved survey of the basin from the USACE
• Closeout COV contract with USACE for the dredging and breakwater work
• Receive and review responses to Fuel Facility RFP
If you have any questions, please contact: