Click to Home
Site Tools
Valdez Alaska

Go To Search
Am I in a Special Flood Hazard Area?
For the purposes of the City of Valdez, a Special Flood Hazard Area is equivalent to a Zone A on our Federal Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) The City of Valdez will assist citizens in looking up where the property is in relationship to a mapped floodplain. Office hours are 8:30-12:00 and 1:00 – 5:00 pm at City Hall in the Community and Economic Development Department. Residents of the City may email at any time with their property address to determine whether or not the property is in a Flood Hazard area. Residents can also click the Quick Link above entitled Map Service Center and type their physical address into a FEMA mapping system, which will pull up the correct panel of the FIRM for where the property is located (but a resident will have to find their approximate location on the map themselves). There are also professional mapping organizations that will examine the FIRM maps and declare a property in and out of the floodplain (these companies are often used by banks when financing mortgages and transferring property).

Community Development - Floodplain Management

Show All Answers

1. Am I in a Special Flood Hazard Area?
2. Why do I need Flood Insurance?
3. What kind of Information can I get from the City?
4. What can I do to reduce my risk of flood damages?